About Us

My photo
Offering a small school atmosphere for the Corvallis-Philomath community since 1984

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

You Gotta Sing!


Yesterday, I discovered that I can speak into my TV remote and say, "Green Day karaoke Youtube" and all these karaoke choices pop up on my screen!  I suspect my TV and remote are capable of all sorts of things of which I have no inkling!  Upon unearthing this lyrical treasure trove,  I chased Andy out of the living room with my caterwauling.  It's not as good as singing with the kids, but it was fun.  I don't have the usual amount of alternative rock coursing through me as I usually fuel up on tunes during my 40 minute commute between Albany and Philomath.   You can often catch me at 7:15, having a hot flash, windows down, tearing off my cardigan, singing along to Foo Fighters or Red Hot Chili Peppers on any day Monday through Thursday, that is, until March 12. 

I saw a report that of the streaming stations, the most popular during the stay-at-home order are classical, folk and children's songs.  That, of course, made me think of the classical music we often use for Walking on the Line and the folk and children's songs we love so much.   If your kids are missing some of their PhMS favorites, I looked up some which were available on Youtube.  If your kids would like you to lead or participate in a singing circle, you might use these videos to ascertain the actual tune and lyrics, which you can also search separately, of course.  I just have to chuckle when I hear myself advising others on how to use the internet!  Where do I get off, really?  It's so comical! 

You can find the following Raffi favorites that we sing at school: Baby Beluga, Robin in the Rain, You Gotta Sing (which only displays the lyrics and might be a nice reading experience for someone), Wheels on the Bus, Apples and Bananas.  You can find Tom Chapin's "This Pretty Planet," Linda Allen's "The Dandelion Song," Red Granger's "I Think You're Wonderful," and Mr Rodgers' "Its You I Like."  In this clip, the song itself doesn't appear until 4 minutes 15 seconds in.  He is interviewing a neighbor boy who uses a wheelchair and then sings to the boy.  There are probably many more.  I looked up our Continent Song, but the tune was very different AND they say "Australia" instead of the more inclusive "Oceania," which I also used to do, once upon a time. I offer you this curated list of songs to enjoy with your kids during our time apart. 

Just a short one today.  Sometimes, more isn't better.  Speaking of which, please do read my old post, "Affluenza: Too Much, Too Soon?" from September 18, 2014.  I think it's still very good and carries an important message.  Have a wonderful day at home, friends!

Your Guide,
Doni

No comments:

Post a Comment