About Us

My photo
Offering a small school atmosphere for the Corvallis-Philomath community since 1984

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Greetings, Philomath Montessori Community and Beyond!

          I thought that today, being a holiday, I would present you with a lighthearted entry to make you smile.  Here's one thing sure to make you smile.  I committed to myself to volunteer each morning this week at Safehaven Humane Society's cat room before heading to work as they are short on volunteers due to people prudently staying home.    On Friday, the cat room was full.  Not over-full.  Not overflowing, like it sometimes can be, but full.  Imagine my surprise when I showed up early Monday morning to clean and there were very few cats there!  My services were not needed so I headed on into school.  My theory is that people knew they would be holing up at home for a while and it would be a perfect time to welcome and to be entertained by a new furry family member. Even Elmer the rabbit, who was an old favorite of mine, went home!   Safehaven is usually open from noon until 5 or 6 pm, seven days per week.  Given the situation, I would call ahead or check their website to make sure they are still open to the public.  I will go in again Wednesday morning to see what's happening.  Just for fun, I am sending you the daily journal of a sweet family who shall remain anonymous:


Coronavirus self-quarantine day 1:

We are all in good spirits.  We have limited our media exposure until after the kids are in bed.  This allows us all to be present and lessens our anxiety, rather than having CNN blaring in the background all day long like my parents, in their Geriatric Fortress of Solitude, as they call it, are doing.  We just bring groceries and Ensure to their front porch and visit with them briefly through the closed dining room window behind the camellias where they never venture.  Seems safe. The 3 year old has peed on the camellias a lot.  I hope that's okay. 

One of us made a run to the store while the other planned a sanitization protocol with the kids.  The adult will sanitize their hands in the car and wash hands before and after unloading supplies, then wipe off the kitchen counter, door handles and handrail up to the porch.  Grocery bags will be washed in hottest water. 

Day 2:
The kids are refusing to eat because they're "afraid of germs from the outside world."  Where do they get this stuff?  We've had to do a lot of de-programming today.  The 9 year old did some internet research on pre and pro-biotics while Mom and Dad put on a sock puppet show for the youngers entitled "Kim Chee and the Good Bugs."  The 9 year old cut to the chase by saying "some germs are good germs and your boogers were always disgusting." 

Day 3:
The glitter.  Oh, my word, the glitter.  We have used up all our Qtips removing it from various orifices.  So many different orifices.  We did not get it all. 

Day 4:
We've regrouped.  The house still looks like a strip club, but we've engaged the children in joining us in Spring Cleaning.  We're taking it one room at a time so we can all be together. 

Day 5:
We've dispersed ourselves to separate rooms today.  The ringing in my ears from yesterday's din has nearly stopped.  I was able to hear most of Grandma's FaceTime.  She's 78 and completely alone in Minnesota for 9 days now......... Lucky old woman. 

Day 6:
I've decided the virus would probably reach the Mayan Riviera no matter how badly I HAVE HAD IT WITH THIS PARTICULAR FAMILY so I unpacked my bag and rejoined them in the living room.  They were playing paper plate ice rink to Waldteufel's "The Skater's Waltz" on the carpet and with the glitter popping up in their wakes it was just magical.  The 5 year old was wrist deep in his nostril so I'm cautiously optimistic that we're over our collective germophobia..

Day 7:
Since someone must pay for $350 hand sanitizer, I am "working remotely" which isn't remotely working with 2 of the kids under the table playing "submarine."  My legs are evidently the periscopes through which they are peering at all the imaginary marine life as they both have an eye socket on each of my kneecaps. 

I wonder if my cubicle misses me. 

               Aren't they sweet?  Take care, everyone.  Let's ask our elderly neighbors if they need anything before heading to the store.  As I write this, I know you already are! 

All the Luck o' the Irish to ye!
Doni

No comments:

Post a Comment