About Us

My photo
Offering a small school atmosphere for the Corvallis-Philomath community since 1984

Saturday, April 11, 2020

All Children, Everywhere

Gentle Parents,

As I was watching Good Morning America this morning while Andy made biscuits and gravy for our breakfast, there was an article to support now home-schooling parents.  This expert, and I forget her name and credentials, suggested putting the work into 3 metaphorical "buckets."  The first bucket is the "Must Do" bucket. This is everything that must be turned in for a grade and everything that has a due date.  The next bucket is the "Would Like to Do" bucket, which is projects and activities that interest the kids that they would like to pursue.  The third bucket is the "Maybe We Will, Maybe We Won't" bucket, which is work that no one really wants to do and which has few, if any repercussions if it is not done.  Busy-work falls into this bucket and if you never get to it, I guess it doesn't matter. 

I liked the above categories.  They might work for some families, especially those with school-age kids.  This expert went on to espouse "unschooling," which she described as following the children's interests, for example, ladybugs.  One could capture ladybugs, study ladybugs, research ladybugs, do ladybug-centric art and gardening activities, etc.  I was about to take umbrage that Dr. Montessori's edict to "follow the child" was not credited, when I paused.  At a recent Association Montessori International Refresher Course, I was introduced to a quote from Dr. Montessori's granddaughter, Renilde Montessori, a world-renowned pedagogist, lecturer and trainer of teachers who is recently deceased which stated that she longed for the day when the name "Montessori" would be forgotten, but her concept of education would be known everywhere.  It would just be the way all children, everywhere, were brought up, according to natural laws of development, creating health, lighting up brains with love and bringing the world to peace as we adults focus on what really matters.

 Wishing you all a beautiful weekend as you keep everyone safe by staying home.  I know many of you celebrate Easter and I wish you a happy holiday.  I am sorry I missed wishing my Jewish friends a Happy Passover in my blog, but I did text you!  Yours in celebration, I remain,

Your Guide,
Doni

No comments:

Post a Comment