About Us

My photo
Offering a small school atmosphere for the Corvallis-Philomath community since 1984

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ordinary Day

I am writing this for the second time as my post vanished when I tried to "preview" it. Stupid computers! Don't tell the children I said that as they will chastise me for using bad words.

At this morning's group, I told stories about ice hockey, ice fishing, ice skating and ice dancing and how these sports are enjoyed outdoors, throughout the winter (and probably a good portion of the spring!) in the northern regions of Canada. We read a book called "Have You Fed the Cat?" by Michele Coxon. It is about a once-cute kitten, now neglected, who cries to be fed in order to gain attention. It has wonderfully cuddly illustrations and a happy ending. On the playground, we learned the motions to our Canadian folksong "Going Over the Sea." It has the feel of a cadence and makes one want to march about militarily!

The extended day children were, for the most part, quiet, focused and industrious. This gave me the opportunity to go about surreptitiously observing pencil grips. This group is in good shape! We ended the day with a book about a homeless woman who is befriended by some children. It is called "The Lady in the Box" and it is written by Ann McGovern. It is heart-warming and ends positively without tying up the problem of homelessness in a pretty bow. We haven't finished the book yet, but I peeked ahead!

I hope you are all enjoying this unseasonably warm and humid weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment