About Us

My photo
Offering a small school atmosphere for the Corvallis-Philomath community since 1984

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Road Trip!

When I was a child, my parents, my older brother, Cal, my younger sister, Monique and I would load up the Chevy Malibu station wagon and hit the road. We had an enormous canvas tent that would sleep 10 and that would be our home for two weeks every summer. I have so many fond memories of those trips. I remember my Dad and I, being the only really early risers, having quiet time by the fire each morning before the others got up. I also remember driving through the night with everyone sleeping except Dad and me. I loved listening to talk radio and the advertisements for stores we didn't have back home in LaPorte, Indiana. I remember the way we all pitched in to set up and break down our camp at each stop along the way. We became extremely proficient. After camp was made, we three kids were free to explore the campground environs which we did with gusto.

Looking back, I see now that it may not have been an entirely joyful experience for my mother. Dealing with three bickering kids, a lot of dirt and the logistics of three meals a day on the road couldn't have been a picnic. My Dad, however, was in his element. He loved to travel and share all the historical and natural wonders of our nation with his kids. He also enjoyed cooking elaborate breakfasts over the campfire. Fried trout and hashbrowns, bacon and eggs, even Eggs Benedict! We had a little campfire toaster that didn't exactly toast, but dried the bread out nicely over open flame.

My parents did have a few clever ideas that helped us children make the most of our travels. We often were given spiral notebooks and encouraged to journal and draw along the way. I remember one trip during which we learned a lot of Indian lore. We saw Devil's Tower which is the cooled core of a volcano. All has been eroded away except this core. It is deeply ridged and the Native Americans attributed these ridges to a gigantic bear who carried an Indian maiden to the top of the tower, as I recall, clawing as he made his ascent. Having heard this tale and other Indian legends, we were encouraged to write or tell our own myths about various natural features that we saw.

We also were given money at the beginning of each big trip. I think we were given $20 each which was a fortune! It was ours to spend as we pleased. We could buy souvenirs, postcards, spend it all at the concession stands or whatever we wished, but there would be no more to come. At the end of the trip, my parents would double the amount we had left. Thus began a lifetime habit of saving, at least for me. I think my siblings blew through theirs, but I was a hoarder. I would allow myself one nice souvenir, such as the beautiful Indian doll with white rabbit trim on her red leather dress. On a trip to Mt. Rainier, I bought a lovely charm bracelet made of various stones. I especially loved the tiger's eye. I always brought back at least half of my allowance, though.

We played a lot of games in the car. Mostly classics like the Alphabet Game in which someone sees a sign or license plate with an "A" on it, then someone sees one with a "B" and so on. Our favorite games, though, were "Mom, He's Touching Me!" and "Keep Your Foot On Your Side Of The Car." I remember, too, that we would always have a roll of Lifesavers to share as a family and one child would be chosen to be "the boss of the Lifesavers." They would have the responsibility of safeguarding the precious rings of rainbow-colored sugar and doling them out at intervals. Sometimes it was gum. To this day, our code for a micro-manager is "the boss of the Lifesavers." And I remember the pound of Wisconsin cheddar accidentally left to melt in the hot sun in the Malibu. We ate it anyway as a sort of dashboard fondue and it was delicious! We all still remember that cheese!

If you dare to venture out on the open road this summer with gas prices near $4 per gallon, I know you will make some wonderful memories, too. Perhaps, though, you'll make your fun closer to home. Either way, these family outings, for all their inconvenience, expense, annoyances and filth are worth it for the bonds that form between parent and child and brothers and sisters. My siblings and I are extremely close to this day and we love to reminisce. "Remember that time you passed out from the heat at the Grand Canyon and I offered you my Snicker's bar?" Good times, good times!

Best regards,
Doni

No comments:

Post a Comment